Sunday, January 16, 2011

Globes Part 10

Sandra Bullock apparently told Ricky Gervais that "poor people are gross and they smell bad" backstage.  She introduces the nominees for Best Actor Drama without any fanfare.  They must be cutting it close tonight.  And the winner is Colin Firth.  FINALLY!  He alludes to having a mid-life crisis about his acting career and says this award is all that stands between him and a Harley Davidson.  Also, he mentions something about a "triangle of man-love" with co-star, Geoffery Rush and writer, David Seidler.  I think I missed something, because I don't understand that comment, but it doesn't matter.  Firth is truly one of the most talented actors in Hollywood.  So good to see him being recognized.

Presenting the final award of the evening, Best Picture Drama, is Michael Douglas.  He gets a standing ovation.  I think the audience is more excited about his good health than he is tonight.  "There must be a better way to get a standing ovation."  And the winner is The Social Network.  Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield are still sitting in the audience, so the producer summons them up while thanking them.  Andrew looks downright giddy.  "Thank you for an amazing year in movies!" he concludes.  I think that sums it up pretty well.

Ricky takes the remaining few seconds to thank the HFPA, the audience, viewers at home, and "thanks to God for making me an atheist."  Oh my.  Well I think that's a good note to end on, don't you?  Thanks for reading folks, I had a lot of fun.  Let's do this again soon (maybe a live-blog of the Oscars?).  Goodnight, hope you enjoyed the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment